I have been looking at Opalotypes recently and I was interested in giving it a go. Basically, an Opalotype is a silver image made on a white surface (instead of your usual black). One of the ways to make an opalotype is to use the Wet Plate Collodion process, which I have access to, unfortunately, I was fresh out of white surfaces to make an image onto.
As luck had it, my ‘white’ Samsung S3 smart phone was sitting on my desk in front of me, which got me thinking, “wouldn’t it be pretty cool to have an opalotype on the back of my phone?”
I recently brought my enlarger home from my darkroom and have been looking into how to incorporate the enlarger into my Wet Plate work and I was thinking of all my negatives and which one would look the best on the back of my phone, when an idea struck. What if I could put an image on my phone and project it through my enlarger onto the back cover of my phone? If I could project a digital image onto my phone, my options were endless. I decided, on an appropriate image, one of my feet splashed with silver nitrate. This image was selected in Lightroom and inverted in Photoshop
I made a test exposure of 5 mins and the collodion didn’t dry out, so I wet ahead and coated the back of my phone with collodion!
The finished Opalotype on the back of the Galaxy S3
The phone back scanned
Making a opalotype phone cover
I have been looking at Opalotypes recently and I was interested in giving it a go. Basically, an Opalotype is a silver image made on a white surface (instead of your usual black).
Testing the renovated camera
I shot my first plate tonight with the American and Co. 8 x 10 camera tonight. I decided to test it at its limits with a large acrylotype (8x10)
So the final part of the camera has been put in place, the ‘racing red’ bellows were fixed tonight with contact adhesive. Camera is done and ready for use! Above is the camera sitting next to my 11 x 11 home build, below is a quick slideshow of the finishing of the camera.
So the final part of the camera has been put in place, the ‘racing red’ bellows were fixed tonight with contact adhesive.
Made alot of headway today, and got to an end point whereby all that is really left to do it hang the bellows.
I oiled the baseboard and tripod support (nothing more lovely than seeing the transition of sanded mahogany to oiled mahogany), however, the…
Camera Restoration 14/2/14
Not so much of an update today on progress today, but rather some further information on the camera.
The last post was a step-by-step guide to making a DIY GOPro dog harness. Initial tests actually…
Attaching a GoPro to a dog
I have often wondered what animals get upto when they are out of sight. My first thought was to attach a camera to my chickens for a day and see what they got up to, however, 6 months ago, I got a Labradoodle puppy called Juneau, which probably is one of…
The Paulette MkII was built for one thing, making Wet Plate Collodion images.
Throughout building the camera, I have been working in parallel to source and obtain the chemicals needed for this historic process. With thanks to Brian Scadden, and a few…